TIFF Writers’ Studio offers a unique opportunity for Canadian screenwriters to develop their projects, and to build their understanding of the industry. Since 2012, TIFF Studio has annually provided up to 12 local practitioners with a programme of workshops on key topics and trends, guided by Canadian and international experts. In 2019, our programme shifts from monthly workshops to a five-day intensive lab focused on screenwriting and the creative process.
Congratulations to our 2019 TIFF Writers’ Studio participants
Connor Gaston, Alice in the Wall
Geoff Redknap, Extraction
Maria Camila Arias, Magnificent Desolation
Sophie Goyette, Les Laureats
Lina Roessler, The Rescuer
Faisal Lutchmedial, The Voices Inside
Melanie Jones, Switchback
Lindsay MacKay, Mersea
Sharon Lewis, Sistahs
Katie McMillan, You Are Here
- A five-day intensive lab, focused on screenwriting, the creative process, and the business of film, to take place in March 2019
- Mentorship from TIFF programming teams and expert guests
- Dedicated one-on-one discussions with script consultants/editors
- Peer-to-peer mentorship with the selected participants
- Complimentary access to the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival
- Complimentary access to TIFF’s Industry Conference, Business Centre, and Delegate Resources
- A complimentary one-year Industry Membership
- Access to films and special events screened at TIFF Bell Lightbox during the programme
- Access to TIFF’s renowned Film Reference Library and archival collection
IMPORTANT: During the Writers’ Studio Lab, TIFF will cover up to five nights’ accommodation at our partner hotel for participants who reside outside the Greater Toronto Area. Flights, train rides, ground transportation, etc. are the responsibility of the participants.
TIFF Writers’ Studio is designed for mid-level writer-directors across Canada who wish to extend their creative and business skills.
- Applications are open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada. We welcome applicants from outside Ontario.
- Applicants must be credited as a writer on a minimum of either one feature film or one television series.
- TIFF Writers’ Studio is geared towards feature-length scripts. Writers working in broadcast, interactive, web series, and transmedia with an interest in feature-length production are welcome to apply (should they meet the criteria outlined in #2).
- Applicants must be in development (minimum first draft complete) on a feature-length project. Successful applicants will be required to submit a copy of their script to TIFF prior to the programme start date so it can be workshopped during the programme.
- Applicants must commit to attending the full programme in order to be considered. All sessions take place at TIFF Bell Lightbox in Toronto, Ontario.
Dates for the 2020 TIFF Writers’ Studio will be posted in fall 2019
- Candidates must fill out the application in full, attaching itemized supporting documents as per the guidelines below, in order to be considered.
- Applications must be completed by applicants themselves and not by third parties (e.g. assistants, co-workers).
- Successful candidates are required to include the words “Developed with support from TIFF Writers’ Studio” on subsequent drafts of the screenplay they workshop at the Writers’ Studio Lab.
- Successful candidates may be required to acknowledge TIFF Writers’ Studio on the credits of a completed feature film that has been workshopped at the Lab.
Applicants are required to submit the following supporting documents:
- A copy of the applicant’s resume in PDF format (maximum one page)
- One high-resolution headshot in colour (format: .jpg; orientation: portrait; minimum resolution: 300 dpi)
- A long and short version of a professional biography (maximum 100 words for the long version and 50 words for the short version)
- The following materials from the submitted project:
- Logline (50 words)
- Synopsis (250 words)
- A one-page outline
- A writing sample (Two to three pages)
IMPORTANT: TIFF Industry takes applicant confidentiality seriously and will ensure that submitted material (excluding headshots and bios) are not shared with any third parties without the owner's explicit consent. The material will be downloaded by the TIFF Writers’ Studio team and selection committee.
Contact us at 416-599-8433 ext 2407 or email us at
Thank you all that applied, applications have now closed.