The Review/Short Read/
TIFF 6ix: Essential Links for the Week of March 28, 2016
TIFF 6IX: "Who you gonna call?" edition.
1) Nas announces Ghostbusters-inspired fashion line.
2) A button-pushing Ben Affleck profile by Anne Helen Petersen analyzes (and speculates on) the complexity of his expression in the viral 'Sad Affleck' clip and the Hollywood Celebrity machine.
3) Only 21 titles in the Criterion Collection were directed or co-directed by women, but the reasons why may be more complicated than you think.
4) The field keeps getting bigger: Amazon has said it intends to release 12 to 14 original movies annually through Amazon Studios.
5) "When women flourish in all aspects of the filmmaking process as they did during the early days of the business, when the current massive gender imbalance in the industry is corrected across the board, the conditions will be ripe for female action heroes to once again take over the big screen." Film scholar Radha Vatsal investigates the heyday of female action heroines in the early 20th century.
6) In surprising sequel news: Emily Blunt, Benicio del Toro, and Josh Brolin are all coming back for Sicario 2: Electric Boogaloo.