Telefilm Canada’s PITCH THIS! returns for its 20th consecutive year at the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival. This is your chance to bring a feature-film project to life. All genres and styles of presentation are permitted. The most original and compelling story will be awarded a prize of $15,000. Six teams will have six minutes to pitch their feature-film idea to a live audience of industry delegates and a jury of development and production experts.
Applications for PITCH THIS! 2019 are now closed. We thank all who applied.
- $15,000 in prize money to put towards the making of the pitched feature film
- Mentorship from a expert pitch coach
- Complimentary access to the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival
- Complimentary access to TIFF’s Industry Conference, Business Centre, and Delegate Resources
IMPORTANT: Telefilm Canada’s PITCH THIS! does not cover travel costs for selected participants. Accommodation and transportation, including flights and train fares, are the responsibility of the participants.
Applicants need to be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada. At least one of the pitch-team members needs to meet one of the following criteria:
- Alum of Talent Lab at the Toronto International Film Festival
- Alum or participant in TIFF Studio
- Director or producer of a short or feature film selected for a previous edition of the Toronto International Film Festival
- Director or producer of a short or feature film selected for a previous edition of Canada’s Top Ten
- Director or producer of a short or feature film selected for one of the following major Canadian film festivals OR a major international film festival:
- Atlantic Film Festival
- Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival
- Montreal World Film Festival
- Festival du nouveau cinéma, Montreal
- Sudbury Film Festival
- Calgary International Film Festival
- Edmonton Film Festival
- Vancouver International Film Festival
- Whistler Film Festival
- TIFF Kids International Film Festival
- TIFF Next Wave Festival
- Any major international film festival
- imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival
Please provide the name(s) of the team member(s) who fulfill the eligibility criteria and the name of the major international film festival your film has played at, if applicable.
Participants notified of selection
- ONE submission per applicant.
- Applicants must not have more than three feature films to their credit, in order to be eligible.
- Please note that finalists of the 2018 Telefilm Canada’s PITCH THIS! competition are not eligible to apply for this year’s event.
- Applications must be submitted in English.
- A copy of each team member’s filmography in PDF (one page maximum each)
- A link to a short clip of the primary team member’s work (maximum five minutes)
- A brief description of the project you will pitch
- A project overview or treatment (maximum one page)
- Brief outline of audience-building strategy
- Financing projections (approximate estimate of development, production and post-production costs)
The winning team will be required to include the logo of the Toronto International Film Festival and the following credit line in their film credits:
“This film was made possible in part through Telefilm Canada's PITCH THIS! at the Toronto International Film Festival.”
Email us at